This is a dedicated web page for the standard course on HR specialization – Training and Development. The course is designed for BBA/MBA students with a focus on models, implications and issues. A 3 credit hours course designed for 30 lectures in 15 weeks, it takes the audience through a systematic journey in the field of Training and Development.
Training and Development
This unit aims to ensure that students acquire a managerial perspective on how to manage training and development at organizations. Students will develop the ability to integrate the use of training and development in light of the long-term business strategy. HR managers require a working knowledge of learning and development approaches to ensure that investments and business decisions are soundly based and of benefit to the organization.
Upon completion of the course the students will be able to:
Relate concepts and principles from the psychology of training and development to real occupational issues in order to make a constructive contribution to organisations.
• Recognize the psychological assumptions made in making training and development decisions and to manage these assumptions appropriately.
• Appreciate the contextual factors of real organisations and work situations that affect decisions concerning the application of training and development concepts.
• Provide a basis for making useful training interventions within organisations and evaluating such interventions.
Discussion Case Study for Chapter 1
Discussion Case Study for Chapter 2
Systematic progression through the concepts of Management
Case study approach using scenarios and examples from top international firms
Local case studies and examples to contextualize the themes based on local situations
Practical assignments and activities to invoke learning
In class and online discussions to bring on surface key issues, controversies and hot debates
Assignments & Projects
This section is dedicated to the major assignments and projects in this course. The assignments and projects build up the important percentage of the assessment as the students are required to translate the learning from the course contents to practical scenarios and develop understanding on the managerial implications.
Case Study Presentations
A Group task using the standard case study approach, students need to demonstrate understanding on the evolutionary developments in a selected organization
Students need to develop a proper case study using the case study development guidelines
Eventually will present their findings in the shape of a Presentation in front of the class or classes on Multimedia
Students in groups of 2-3 will be assigned an organization (Preferably local organization)
Case should be developed on one of the topics of Training And Development in the Selected Organization
Students need to submit both Hard (Printed) and Soft copies (Computer files) of the Case itself and that of the PowerPoint Presentation
This is day 1 so you can start working now!
I will myself present at least one Case Study well before the presentation schedule so that you people have an idea
Case Study Template & Sample Case Studies:
Case Study Presentation_Harley-Davidson Online
Submission of proposals in the first week right after the Mid term exams
Presentation will start in the 4th week after Mid term exams
1. Role of Company’s Training and Development Centre in achieving T& D Objectives
2. Types of Training Methods and Corresponding Training Strategies
3. Effectiveness of E-learning Training Methods: The Scope in Pakistan
4. Need Assessment and it’s Role in Training and Development Effectiveness
5. Strategic Training Initiatives: Revolutionizing Traditional Training Outcomes with Innovative Tools & Approaches
6. Systematic Evaluation of Training Programs: An Integral Components of Modern Instructional Design Approach
Evaluating the Job of a Training and Development Professional
- You need to identify any training and development professional leading the training and development function in his/her organization.
- Conduct an Interview with the professional to identify his/her major responsibilities and functions.
- Explore and critically evaluate the recent training initiative taken for training and development by the professional.
- Summarize your understanding, suggestions and recommendations in the light of job role and responsibilities and initiatives taken by
- Present your findings in a properly format using the formal assignment guidelines
- Use standard formatting (12 Font for Text and 14 Font for Headings)
- Deadline for assignment is 14 November, 2017 at the end of lecture